One Year On Living With Coeliac Disease

Today, I will be telling you how I have found my first  year knowing I have Coeliac Disease.

I have overall found it quite difficult, however it has got easier as the year went on because I have got used to it. The thing I struggled most with was having meals out with friends/families and when I went holiday. When I went on holiday it was difficult because I had to learn what gluten free was in Spanish which  I learnt was "sin gluten". This then made it easier for me because they understood what I was saying to them. I found that trying to find restaurants that did gluten free food was difficult because I am quite a fussy eater, so to find a restaurant that had a variety of gluten free options was great!

On a positive note, I have felt better within my self. I have felt more healthy and before being diagnosed I would go really dizzy and feel faint; it is so much better now to not have this feeling because it used to scare me that I would faint because I have never fainted before. It was also a huge relief to know why I was feeling rubbish all the time and also I now don't feel exhausted because I am getting all of the correct things that I need.

I have also very strictly followed my gluten free diet meaning that my dietician was very pleased with me because a lot of people think that it wont actually harm you to eat things with gluten in now and again. However, just because you can't feel it on the outside it doesn't mean that it isn't affecting you on the inside. Personally, if I have eaten out at a restaurant and there has been some form of contamination then I get affected; and I would get symptoms of eating something contaminating gluten within 20 minutes of eating the meal.

Thanks for reading!

Comments