Living with coeliacs - my story so far

16th December 2015:
This was when it all began... I went to the doctors after feeling faint and almost passing out at least 2 times each day. They couldn't tell what was wrong through a physical examination, so I was sent for some blood tests. The results came back saying that I had anaemia, so they then referred me to the children's centre.
30th March 2016:
I went to the children's centre where they tested me for coeliac disease. They presumed I have coeliac disease because my nan and 2 of my aunties also have it.
They then sent me for more blood tests to test if I have coeliac disease.
22nd April 2016:
The results... They were showing up that I have coeliac disease. This is when it all began, following the gluten free diet.

The gluten free diet means I can't have wheat, rye, barley and oats. So I thought I would share a few tips and tricks with you:
  • Don't swap ingredients containing gluten free alternatives in a recipe that isn't aimed at this specific diet because it usually doesn't work
  • Don't share butter with people who have contaminated it with none gluten free crumbs, I recommend having your own individual butter to avoid cross contamination
  • Don't risk anything when going to a restaurant, so make sure they have a gluten free menu and order from that not the main menu as it is most likely not going to be gluten free from the main menu
  • Try to avoid all cross contamination, for example, don't cook none gluten free food on a tray with gluten free food because although you may feel fine it will be affecting you on the inside
  • Try your hardest not to put bread in a toaster with someone who is not gluten free, you could either use a total different toaster or you could do what I do put the bread in a toasty bag which will help to avoid cross contamination

Comments

Post a Comment